The miscreants of Super Rugby will get away with even less, following the announcement of new disciplinary rules to be trialled during the 2012 competition.
SANZAR CEO Greg Peters on Thursday revealed the new rules - which effectively gives referees the power to put players on report.
In a statement the governing body for the game in the Southern Hemisphere (South Africa, New Zealand and Australia) said they will trial major alterations to the judicial process.
The International Rugby Board has approved the trial and the experimental moves will form a key part to the IRB's own full review of disciplinary regulations.
"The changes follow a cross-country working group meeting with representatives across all areas of the game held in September last year, which conducted a 'clean sheet' review of the SANZAR judicial process," Peters said in the statement..
The objectives of the review were to provide a system that is fair, consistent and simple with fewer full hearings and consequently reduced costs.
"SANZAR has long held the view that the disciplinary process could be enhanced to provide for a more consistent and simplified outcome," said Peters.
"We believe that these changes are an important step in the right direction."
The key changes include:
1. On-field Referee Referral to Citing Commissioner
* Instances where a referee thinks an act of foul play has occurred but is not sure if a red card is warranted, or is unsure of the identity of a player
* Where a player makes a complaint to a referee who did not see an incident
* Can be in addition to a yellow card or penalty
* Referred to the Citing Commissioner for review
2. Citing Commissioner issues an "Off-Field Yellow Card"
* Instances where a Citing Commissioner observes a serious act of foul play that is close to but not quite a red card
* The Off-field yellow card is logged on the player's disciplinary record in the same manner as an On-Field yellow card
3. Duty Judicial Officer
* Performs an initial assessment of citings, red cards or three yellow cards
* Duty Judicial Officer may hold a brief teleconference with the player and/or his representative
* Determines whether or not to offer the player a preliminary indication of penalty
* May refer to a full judicial hearing
* The player must accept he committed an act of foul play to be offered an indication of penalty
* If player does not accept the indication of penalty the matter will be referred to full hearing
4. Judicial Hearings
* Where a full judicial hearing is required it will be held by video conference or teleconference with 'in-person' hearings only taking place in exceptional circumstances
* Other processes for the hearing will be the same as previously
* SANZAR has a right of appeal the outcome of a judicial hearing on the following grounds:
- Where there is substantial unfairness, or the penalty imposed on a player is clearly excessive or inadequate
- Where there has been a fundamental error by the Judicial Officer in reaching his decision
* Normal rights of Appeal apply for players
The new system will come into operation when the Super Rugby tournament kicks off on February 24.
Gilbert has released a new line of rugby cleats. The Gilbert Virtuo 8S is part of the exciting new product. Check it out.
The entire All Blacks apparel line has been updated for 2013/14. Check out the New Zealand All Blacks polo.
The Nike Tiempo is a solid rugby cleat and one of few styles still made from full-grain natural leather.
The Gilbert Blitz 8S rugby cleat is a great cleat at a great price of $69.99. Get a new pair of cleats today.
A cool looking all black rugby cleat with the high performance adidas is known for. Get in the Gear!
Wear the crest of the British and Irish Lions on your t-shirt. A great look for the summer.
The All Blacks Performance t-shirt is black with hints of blue from the training jersey. Very Cool.
The New Zealand All Blacks training jersey for 2013/14. Get in the Gear!
The USA Rugby Pro Alternate rugby jersey is perfect for any fan of the Eagles. Get yours to wear during the summer Test matches.
The NEW All Blacks 2013/14 jersey has arrived at World Rugby Shop. Dare to wear the colors of the All Blacks.